Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The end

Well, this is it, my last post in Korea. I have said my last goodbyes. One student jokingly asked me to take him back to America with me. Another student told me to go back to America get my family and bring them back to Korea so I would stay here. That one actually hurt considering the student wasn't joking. That one is going to leave a scar. But don't worry, I bought all my students ice cream for our last class together. I've been taking pictures like crazy of everything I can think of to hold onto the memories a little better. I leave the land of the morning calm on October 17.

Looking back on the past year I would have to say this is by far the coolest thing I have ever done in my entire life. I moved halfway around the world to live and work in another country for an entire year. I had good times and bad, but I have definitely gained valuable knowledge and experience during my time here. I am going to miss Korea so much, even the bad things. I have no plans to return here for work, but I would not rule anything out. I will however return to visit some day, how could I not?

I don't know if I will continue blogging or not, my next stop China is notorious for blog censorship and I don't know if it will be worth the hassle of updating. I may feel differently once I get there but we will have to see.

The best thing about moving here is being challenged every day in even the simplest tasks. Ordering food, getting from point A to point B, even crossing the street can be a challenge in this country, and I think I'm going to miss that. Korea is the land of contradiction, incredible kindness exists right next to incredible rudeness. I don't know what else to say, I am going to miss this place.

I have posted this video before but I will post it again because it's just so damn cool.

Free Hugs in KOREA

---
The ending Korean comments mean this:
Free Hugs
In this place, there is love
In this place, there are smiles and happiness
To find this place, you need not money
You just need a little courage
Stop. Look around and see your friends and family
And share the love
---

My next stop is a return home to America for a few months to recharge my batteries, then it's off to China for another year of adventure!

Bike ride downtown Chengdu China





So long...