So I was sitting in a local pizza joint waiting for my pizza when a middle aged Korean man started a conversation with me. He started off by asking how long I had been in Korea, then proceeded to ask where I have been in Korea, then asked what I did for a living, where I lived and how much money I made, etc. People keep asking me that, how much money I make. It's not a lot of money, it's comfortable living though. One thing you'll need to get used too if you move here is the minor celebrity status you'll have. All kinds of people will try to talk to you. It doesn't matter if you have your headphones on and can't hear them, if you are busy talking to someone else or if you are eating your dinner. Just about everyday when I'm walking around someone will inevitably try to start a conversation. Sometimes I welcome it, especially when its a beautiful woman. Sometimes it's annoying, especially when I'm exercising.
Now, what REALLY pisses me off is when a woman will pretend to like you so that she can get a free English lesson. This has happened to me more than once, and it often leaves me confused. If you want to learn English keep your hands to yourself, don't keep rubbing against me, and don't invite me on vacations with you so that you can practice your English, ok? I have no problem teaching you English, heck I'll do it for free, but damn it don't lead me to believe you actually want something meaningful.
Anyway,
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you want to come here there are certain things you need to think about before hand. First of all, do your research. Read forums, blogs and anything else you can think of about the country/countries you are interested in. Read a bit about the history, culture and language, this should help minimize the culture shock. Second, don't come here for a single reason. Let's say you can't find a job in your own country, if that's the case you have things you need to work on before you come over here. You should have at least three reasons/interests for coming to this country. Third, you need to be able to handle isolation. It is quite possible you will end up in a place with few foreigners and locals who are afraid of foreigners. Finally, and quite possibly most important, you need to be adaptable.