Before I do, if you left a comment, I have replied so be sure to check the archives if yours is on a past post.
Alright, so where was I....oh yes...
After she had finished making her phone calls it got quiet again and I thought she had left. I tried to fall back asleep. Not long after however, I hear a hand drill being used. Oh crap I thought to myself, she called a locksmith. Worried that perhaps she had also called the police I kept my door shut and listened. The other english teacher who had been yelling at her became more worried and walked down the hall and started yelling at the locksmith to stop. The english teacher than announced she was going to get the security guard on the 1st floor and walked away. I decided this was getting way out of hand so I went back out of my room to see what was happening. When I opened my door I saw the ex-gf, but there was no locksmith. Apparently he went back to his truck to find something as he had left his tools by the door. I could already see the lock was completely ruined, there were metal shavings on the ground and black marks on the door where the ex had been kicking.
Yes, that brown grayish material is the metal shavings from the lock. The black marks on the door are a gift from the womans shoes.
Anyway, the locksmith came back and myself and the other teacher tried to tell him that the woman was crazy and she didn't live here, she was trying to break into her ex-bfs apartment. He ignored us and began to tear away at the lock again. The security guard finally came up to the 12th floor and started asking questions, we tried to explain to him what was happening but he didn't listen nor care. He stood there watching as this obviously drunk woman and her locksmith were breaking into my co-workers apartment. It was a very surreal moment, here I am standing watching this crazy woman break into an apartment she doesn't live in, while the security guard for the building is standing there watching. At this point it really hit me that one needs to be extra careful while in a foreign country. At this point they were making so much noise another teacher came out of her apartment to watch the spectacle as we continued to try to explain that this is wrong in broken english/korean. I didn't have my co-workers phone number so I wasn't able to call him. The building manager eventually came up to our floor to see what the noise was all about. At this point one of the other teachers decided to call a friend to translate for us to explain the situation. The building manager talked to her friend on the phone for a while, while I went to the 11th floor and got my other co-worker since he had this guys phone number. So my other co-worker comes upstairs with his girlfriend. Myself, my coworker/his gf, and two other english teachers are now talking loudly trying to sort out this mess outside this guys door while the locksmith is trying to open the door as fast as he can while the security guard and building manager just watch. No police have arrived at this point. I'm shocked the police weren't called an hour ago when this mess started, this isn't Kansas.
Finally the door opens and the ex-gf quickly enters his apartment while us westerns stand watching in shocked silence. Why didn't anyone listen to us and stop this mess? She went up into his loft looking for him, but he was no where to be found. She came back out of the apartment and talked for a bit with the building manager as he started to get angry at her. I think he was finally realizing what was happening. She looked at me and said "Kevin, I am sorry", my reply was "no f***ing s*** you're sorry", she then turns to my other co-worker and says "Jay, I am sorry, are you angry?", he nods his head "very angry". The building manager suddenly starts yelling at her very loudly, while the locksmith hurriedly tries to put on a new lock. When he finishes the building manager takes the key making sure the ex-gf does not stay in the apartment. The security guard then writes a note and puts it on the door, but it's in korean, Jay then writes a message in english so the guy can understand considering he can't read korean.
And then it's over, everyone walks away to sleep away the night and get ready for another crazy week in the Land of the Morning Calm.
What are my personal thoughts on the matter? For one it's obvious to me that our rights in this country are vastly different from our home countries, and when there is a conflict between a korean/westerner our chances of winning are slim. Based on conversations I've had with my co-worker since the incident I have a feeling he was hiding in the apartment the entire time, he said things to me he would not have known unless he had been in his room. I haven't confronted him about the matter as I think it would really embarrass him if I told him I thought he was there the entire time. I also heard someone moving around in his apartment shortly after everyone left.
A week later...the guy and his ex-gf? They are back together, sigh.