Teacher sent to prison
Here is a perfect example of why I am leaving. This is a Canadian teacher who had a fake diploma, got caught, and is now going to spend 6 months in prison. Should he be deported? Absolutely. Should he be banned from ever coming back to this country? Absolutely. Should he be fined an obscene amount of money? Absolutely.
Should he spend 6 months in prison? No, just execute him instead for being a foreigner. He probably had sex with Korean women too.
Nationalism starts young here. I was going over a geography unit with my elementary students, and we were talking about countries, and one of my students asked me where Korea was. So I showed them where it was, a few seconds of shocked silence then students started yelling at me "why is Korea so small!" "where is jeju-do!" "Where is dokdo!" Then I made the mistake of saying, "Well, actually you need to cut this little square in half because the top half is North Korea", big mistake. Anyway, my point is, it's not fun living in a country that has an intense love/hate relationship with you.
In other news, I will be going to Shanghai at the end of the month with my friend, shes going to show me around her city. I'm trying to decide if I want to go to Beijing, Shanghai or Taipei next year.