Saturday, July 21, 2007

The job makes or breaks the experience

So basically for me it all boiled down to the job. When the job started to suck, I started to become very unhappy with my situation. If my job situation had been better, I probably would not be so unhappy. I was planning on staying another year and studying Korean at a university here, but whats the use? When you start to become unhappy with a situation, you leave the situation, unless the benefits of staying outweigh the costs. The benefit of staying in Korea is the ability to save money. Considering I didn't come here for that purpose, staying here is now pointless.

I tried to find interests in other areas, culture, history, language etc. I went to museums and historical sites, but I found them to be rather small, lacking, and uninteresting. I have found Korean tv to be very entertaining but English subtitles are hard to find. I haven't been particularly enchanted with Korean history like I was with Chinese history, which I studied briefly at my university. No matter how hard I try I just cannot find the motivation to study the language. And it's all because of the job.

In other news, my camera broke and I need to buy a new one for my trip to Shanghai next week.