Friday, January 05, 2007

Caught and confronted...

During my last class on Friday the students were busy working on a short speech I asked them to prepare. All of a sudden one of my middle school students asks me if I know Randy teacher. No, I told him. He left before I came here. Another student asked me if I knew Tim teacher. Nope he left before I got here too. From behind me I hear one of my middle school girls ask, Kevin teacher do you know (name of female teacher I'm dating)? I turn around quickly and search for something to say...Why, I asked. Because I saw you two eating lunch together last week, was it a date? No I told her. Then why wasn't S. teacher with you (Canadian teacher)? I don't answer the second question and walk back to the podium to pretend I'm busy. I look up from the podium and notice all the students are staring at me. Your face is red a student says. I quickly blurt out that she just wants to practice her English. Lies, another middle school girl shoots back. Go back to work I tell my students. I look back at my book on the podium and hear another voice softly say "but (blank) teacher is ugly."

Sigh.