Friday, December 29, 2006

Best date of my life

Here we go with the personal crap again, anyway...

I'm having trouble falling asleep tonight. The problem is that today I had the best date of my entire life. Yesterday I made plans to meet with my Korean female friend (notice I didn't use the words Korean girlfriend), it was planned as a group date. She is still very shy about her English so I always make sure to bring a Korean friend along to make her feel more comfortable. Last night I asked my best Korean friend to come hang out with us and he said he would, the 3 of us were to meet in the lobby of my building at 1:30pm (we all work in this building, but I'm the only one who lives in this building). Anyway, this afternoon I went down to the lobby to wait for my friends. I met the girl I'm dating, but my other friend curiously didn't show up. We tried calling him but he didn't answer. I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later. See, he's been acting as the go between for us. He speaks good English and Korean, so we rely on him to communicate sometimes. But I had a feeling he wanted to start cutting the bond, and I'm so glad he did.

After about 5 minutes of waiting we decided to go grab some food. We went to this place known as "the crazy ladies restaurant" (don't ask). Anyway, we sit down by the window and she looks at me and says "uh oh", I ask what's wrong? The sun is in your eyes she tells me. I tear my eyes away from her beauty and notice that the sun is in my eyes. The sun is not only in my eyes but I'm actually squinting quite a bit. I didn't even notice I was so focused on her. We moved to another seat with less sunlight and she asks me if I can read the menu. I tried to impress her with my Korean reading ability but I was so nervous all I could read was the order of "mandu". Anyway, we had such a great time, she was trying so hard to practice her English. We even practiced my Korean a little bit. She was so happy that I could tell her the days of the week in Korean. She taught me that in Korea the first meal of the day usually consists of rice (I had ordered noodles). She then went on to tell me she wants to teach me so much but her English just isn't good enough. We made plans to study English and Korean together soon. After eating we went to dunkin donuts for coffee and donuts. We had so much fun, it was almost time for us to go back to work but she confessed she didn't want to go back to work. As we were walking back we ran into another teacher in our school which made for an awkward situation. Koreans are very conservative on the outside, and it was a little embarrassing for another teacher to see us together. I didn't really care but I could tell she was embarrassed because she got shy again.

This was by far the best date I've ever had. Our conversation was limited, but the substance of the date was humongous. She's such a generous and kind person. I did my absolute best to return the kindness and generosity. I hope I succeeded.