I knew it would happen sooner or later, and I knew it would happen around the four month mark. The newness is completely gone and now things are starting to get on my nerves. I am no longer living in paradise. As much as I love the complexities of Korean culture, sometimes things just really confuse or piss me off. I even briefly entertained the notion of moving to another country to teach. Then again I must remember that I am currently in the "everything is awful" phase of culture shock. One thing I am quickly learning is that during these first couple of months everything is either really good or really bad. There seems to be a very small middle ground. Some days are the best in my life, some days are completely terrible. These mood swings are very annoying as I am used to a secure and stable life in America.
It's odd though, even as bad as things can get, my life is still much better than the secure and stable one I lived in America. As long as I am able to put things into perspective then I should be fine. Writing helps to organize my thoughts. When I started this blog entry I was pretty depressed over recent events, but I feel much better about things now. I have only been here four months and I must remember two things: culture shock, and I will stumble along the way. I will make mistakes but I will always pick myself back up and turn things around.
You might be wondering what brought this on. It's just a combination of things, women problems, culture shock, and minor work problems are the main things. I am learning so much though, all these problems are worth it.
One very important lesson I have learned is about expectations. Don't have expectations, they only get in the way. Enjoy something for what it is, not what it could be.