For todays post readers I will just talk about random things in no particular order.
This evening I've been thinking a great deal about the movie "Office Space" and about my life this past year. When I first watched the movie Office Space I really didn't enjoy it much. It wasn't very funny, frankly it was boring. I was still in college at this point and hadn't really worked in a big office environment yet. I really didn't appreciate the beauty of the movie. Fast forward a couple of years and now its one of my favorite movies of all time. If you haven't watched it I really recommend it. When people ask me why did I come here, I usually ask them if they have watched the movie Office Space. That movie was my life before coming here. The main character hates his job, his girlfriend is psycho (broke up with mine about a year before coming here) anyway to make a long story short the main character learns not to care about his crappy life and just enjoy it, eventually he follows his dream and ends up as a construction worker but the point is, he's happy. The movie is full of quotes I think about often, here are a few of my favorite:
Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.
Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well, what about you now? what would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well, yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I would relax... I would sit on my ass all day... I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do shit.
Bob Slydell: You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Bob Slydell: Great.
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.
Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.
Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.
Michael Bolton: Peter, you're in deep shit. You were supposed to come in on Saturday. What were you doing?
Peter Gibbons: Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.
Anyway, now that I've posted half the movie's dialogue go and watch it.
This brings me to another topic. Last Friday I went out for drinks and food with my friends Sun and this other Korean I work with. Anyway the three of us are almost the same age, and we all have similar personalities. We're also at the same points in our life and each of us has been thinking a great deal about our futures lately. My Korean friend has been wondering what he's going to do about his job, if he wants to get married, where he will live. Sun has been very worried lately that she will end up an old unmarried woman, shes 27 western age (29) Korean and has been under a great deal of pressure from her family to get married soon. I'm also wondering about my future but in a different way. The 3 of us were a bit gloomy when we were talking about our futures but when it was my turn I decided to try to cheer everyone up. I just came right out and said "I have no idea what my future holds and thats exactly how I like it". I proceed to tell them I treat my life like an adventure, if I'm unhappy with something in my life I think about it, then I change it. I hated my life in America, so I came halfway around the world to start a new one. I told them I don't care when I get married or what country I live in. I could leave for Japan in one year, end up living in Korea for ten, move to china, or go back home. I have no idea and that makes me happy. I haven't planned out my life. I try to leave every door open that I can and when the time comes I just pick one and end up some place new.
Anyway, that's it for now, later!