Sunday, December 17, 2006

Why did you come here?

Why did you come here is my least favorite question. I have been asked this question multiple times in one day, multiple times in one conversation, multiple times by the same person. It's complicated is my standard reply. It's always complicated they usually say. You have a degree in Computer Science, you used to work for America Online a big company, why come to Korea? How am I supposed to explain to them that I wasn't happy working at a big company in America. How am I supposed to explain to them that the dream they have of living in a western country has no value for me. I usually try to tell them that I wanted to travel, to see the world, to learn another language, to learn another culture. This answer doesn't always satisfy them. I used to work for a big company in America, why would I ever give that up? This decision of mine did not happen over night. When I first graduated university I knew all about teaching in Korea, it was fun to dream about but I had no intention of actually doing it myself. After all I had just worked my butt off getting my degree and why should I just throw it away. Well, 2 and a half years in corporate america changed my mind. It was the same routine every day. Wake up, work, go home. That is just not enough for me. I want more. That is why I am here. I have really good days here, and I have really bad days here, but each day is unique. I believe it's more important to enjoy your life than to always worry about the future. If your mind is stuck in the future how can you enjoy the present? You can't, you can't enjoy the present. Screw that.