Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Work situation continued...

Went out drinking with one of my co-workers last night after work. We talked about my situation and he gave me some advice. Basically he said that it's all just a game, he suggested I just tell my boss what he wants to hear. But frankly I don't care. If I get fired it just means I can find a better job in a better location where I don't have to work on Saturday. The whole hypocrisy thing just really pisses me off though. My boss keeps telling me I can't control my classes, when my classes are completely silent so he obviously is lying. When I have a noisy class I am always able to discipline them and quiet them down. However, whenever I do that he tells me I can't discipline the kids, I can't make them stand outside the classroom for 5 minutes, I can't make them stand in the corner, all I can do is write down their names and tell a Korean teacher. However, all the other foreign teachers can discipline their kids anyway they want.

I think that basically the boss just wants control. I'm really the only foreign teacher who doesn't kiss his ass. I'm just not an ass kisser, if you're a good person I will respect you very much, but it's something you need to earn. I don't care about your title or how much money you have or how anyone else treats you.

Oh, I found out why he asked for our diplomas last week. Our boss (a male) has been making sexual advances on the eldest and newest foreign teacher here. Last week he sent a text message to him asking if he could come upstairs to his room. The next day he asks for our diplomas as a cover incase the teacher (who told me this last night) asked about the text message. I learned this last night as we both spilled the beans on everything thats been happening lately.

I'll tell you what, I knew kind of what to expect when I got here. I've heard and read about some really crazy stuff that happens, but I really never expected to be living through something this strange. I guess it's all part of the adventure, and it's definitely been an eye opener. I just hope I don't end up thinking this was all a mistake when my adventure is finally over.