Sunday, October 22, 2006

It feels like I've been here a lot longer than 5 days

Well to continue my story.

My 2nd day here was my first day of work. The students were watching a movie so I thought I wouldn't have to teach. The last class (15 year olds in Korean) I did have to teach. My boss walked me into the room, introduced me and then left much to my surprise. I did ok but towards the end ran out of things to say. I knew this would happen but not on the 2nd day. I've heard stories of people being put in the class the first day after the long flight, luckily that didn't happen to me.

---------

Anyway,

To explain about ages, when Koreans are born they are 1 years old. It gets confusing with birthdays, the way it was explained to me is new years they age up a year. So they could be 2 years old before they are 1.

One thing I've already noticed is my english is getting much worse. I'm dropping words that are unnecessary and using lots of hand gestures. I can only imagine what it will be like after living here a long time.

The western community here is pretty cool. Everyone is pretty close and its almost like you belong to a club if you are a waygookin. I've learned a couple words in Korean and find myself automatically using them instead of english words. I'm hopefully going to be getting formal lessons from a Korean friend and his sister who teachers at a university.

I went to a Korean wedding today. It was pretty cool, a little different from ours but very nice. Then we ate, S. (my western co-worker and friend) and a Korean co-worker/friend went to Suwon Station (train and subway) to the shopping mall there. We met his Father and sister and did some shopping then ate at burger king. Hopefully I'll go to Seoul with them next saturday.

This place is so amazing words can't even come close to describing how utterly fantastic this place is. I'm currently in the honey moon phase of culture shock if you haven't guessed and I just love it. I've been to so many parties and bars and restaurants and met so many people and learned so much in such a short time. It really feels like I've been here much longer. I will start writing much more often as soon as I get a reliable internet connection in my room.

Sorry no pictures this time. I keep forgetting to bring my camera but will try to post some new pictures next time.