Sunday is the day I leave for South Korea. Everything is set, I have my e-ticket, I've moved out of my apartment, my mom has my car, most of my shopping is done. My itinerary has me leaving Tucson in the evening, and flying to Las Vegas where I will catch a flight on Korean Air to South Korea. I leave Oct. 15 and get there Oct. 17. Korea is 16 hours ahead of my current time zone, gonna take a while to get used to that. The flight from Las Vegas to South Korea is about 12 hours long. After I get to the airport I need to change some money into the local currency, give my director a phone call, and catch a shuttle to Suwon which is about 40 minutes away. The director will be waiting at my shuttle stop to pick me up from there and take me to my apartment on the 12th floor of some really tall building. After that, the real adventure begins.
Friday has been a good day. I spent the afternoon running some last minute errands. I had to go to the post office and see why my mail isn't being forwarded to my moms address. I got that all sorted out and went shopping. I needed some new shoes and other things, then I went to the bank to withdrawal some money for the trip and ask what my bank's swift code is for international money transfers. I plan on transferring money to my bank account here in the states to pay off my student loans and credit card bill (only have one left) which shouldn't take me too long.
The evening I spent with some close friends. We went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant, very good food. Then we went bowling. My first two games I did terrible, but my very last game was the best I've ever played in my life. I had a blast. Went home and played clue with my mom, step dad and my eldest niece, then decided to end the night watching one of my favorite anime series, Cowboy Bebop. It has a strange name, but its such a good show. Anyway it really brought back memories of college when my friend Josh introduced me to it. Cowboy Bebop really opened the flood gates and I fell in love with anime.
Anyway...
I'm sure everyone has heard by now that North Korea tested a nuclear bomb. Am I worried? A little bit yeah. But here's the thing, I'm not going to let someone else dictate my future. I want to teach and live in South Korea, and that's what I'm going to do. If I really felt my life was in danger of course I wouldn't go, but this thing will probably just blow over sooner or later. You can live in a hole if you want, you can live in the same city your entire life, that's fine with me. But I will not live a life like that. To quote one of my favorite movies "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day..." If you are the type of person who needs security, my life is definitely not the life for you.
I feel so alive. I can't even begin to imagine what the future holds. This will be my last post from the US for now, see you again in South Korea.